Wednesday, July 9, 2008

All is well . . . but one more procedure

Hi.
I am happily home again (since Monday afternoon) and doing well, enjoying yummy meals and corn from the farmer's market today (no, I did not go, but my mom did). My lung has apparently healed, remains fully functioning, and I feel good. I had my third biopsy yesterday, and the results are great again - no rejection!! Yippeee!!!

The only hitch at the moment is that I have a bit of fluid in the pericardial sac (lining/membrane that surrounds the heart), as shown by my weekly echocardiograms. The plan is to remove the fluid in an outpatient procedure on Friday morning. The procedure is called a pericardiocentesis, involves the use of needle and syringe to remove the fluid, and hopefully should not take more than a couple of hours. Assuming it goes well, I should be home by Friday afternoon. It is common to have fluid build up in any open heart surgery, and the docs want to "treat" this now rather than wait for any acute symptoms such as shortness of breath or dizziness. So, I am glad that the transplant team is on top of things and being proactive.

My mom leaves Friday morning, which will be hard since she and my dad have a busy next few months and presumably won't be back for a while. But, it has been so nice having her here. It has been so wonderful having much of my family and some of Pete's too! My sister and sis-in-law arrive Saturday for a visit that was planned many months ago, prior to all the heart health business! I am looking forward to actually being home this time when they are here since I have been in the hospital during their last two visits!

I so appreciate you all sending me/us all your continued energy, good thoughts and prayers. Someday life will calm down a bit and this blog will be BORING (maybe it already is!)!!
Lots of love to you all,
Emily, Pete, Mason and Liam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
Although we've met only briefly when you've been visiting your parents, I wanted to send you greetings and the healing gifts of the Mianus River Gorge in Bedford, NY. We admire your courage and faith and the support of your family and friends. Good luck on Friday--we'll be saying a prayer along with everyone else!
As a side note, we have visited your parents in their new home in Lyme, CT. (Coincidentally, the day before they flew out when you had the heart transplant!) It is wonderful and special in every way! I think you'll love it when you are able to make the trip East.

Liz and Harry White

P.S. We appreciate the effort that went into setting up this blog. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Emily! We hope all goes well today and that you'll be back to your house as soon as possible. Chapman and I appreciate the need to be in your own bed with a good bowl of cereal!

We might be coming out to PC over the holidays to hang with Dana & Co. I hope we can see you, Pete, and the boys if our trip works out.

Lohini & Chapman

Anonymous said...

dearest emily,
I am sending you love and praying for you for today.
Loving you,
alex