Friday, July 11, 2008

Procedure a success!

Good evening all my stars and angels:

I just wanted to let you all know that my pericardiocentesis procedure went very well today. After waiting for a couple of hours (what seems to be standard in the Cath lab where they are busy busy), the whole procedure lasted less than an hour. It took a little patience getting the needle and tube in to the pericardial sac because of the scar tissue that has developed since the surgery, but they did it! Then, believe it or not, they removed about 3/4 of a liter of fluid! They told me the next time I am at the grocery store to look at a liter soda bottle and imagine 3/4 of that fluid surrounding my heart! I won't be in the grocery store for a while yet, but I am imagining it nonetheless. It is all pretty amazing, especially since I thankfully was asymptomatic.

In any event, as the doctors said, my heart will be even happier now that it does not have to pump against the pressure of all that fluid surrounding it. I was home by 1:30 pm, and then had a great nap! Here's to some smooth sailing for a while!

Sending you all lots of love and thanks for your prayers, energy, and good wishes,
Em

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah!
rest well... We are sending you love,
AAAH

TMoore said...

Hi there Emily - as we look out on Lake Washington and watch the sail boats, we will think of your recovery racing along with full sails, an even keel and with you having a firm hand on its tiller.

Lots of love,
Tom & Barbara

Brandy Skylling said...

Great News!! Thanks for sharing. You and your family are truly amazing cruzing through these little bumps in the road. Take Care.

the skylling's