Saturday, October 24, 2009

Heading back for more!

Hello my Stars and Angels:
Just wanted to let you all know that I am scheduled for another surgery this coming Monday 10.26, around 2pm. I will likely be in the hospital most or all of next week. I am not sure of the recovery time and plan after that.

The surgery is what I am calling "Pericardial Window Part II." As you may recall, I had the Part I last Aug. 29, 2008 (the day Sarah Palin's candidacy was announced -- I remember b/c Pete and I sat waiting for the surgery for what seemed like agonizingly long hours having to listen to/watch CNN's coverage of the announcement; suffice it to say, our blood was BOILING!!!)

In any event, the aim of the surgery is to allow the fluid around my heart (between the pericardium and the heart itself) to permanently drain and thus not compress my heart. In short, the surgeons will cut a big (5 in. long x 1-2 in. wide) hole in the pericardium and another hole in my diaphragm (.5 to 1.5 in. in diameter), thereby allowing the fluid to drain into my abdominal cavity, which apparently has a good ability to absorb and process excess fluid.

The docs appear to suspect, though they have not absolutely concluded/told me this, that the symptoms/incident I experienced in mid-Sept. was not rejection but rather were/was caused by the large fluid build up around the heart. The fluid was compressing the heart, thus decreasing the function of the left ventricle and causing "rejection-like symptoms" of shortness of breath, decreased oxygen, etc. This was definitely the reason behind my hospitalization two weeks ago, at which time the pressures in my heart were elevated and my heart rate and blood pressure were high. At that time, the docs drained about 2.5 liters of fluid through a catheter inserted into the pericardium!!! I had symptoms of mild cardiac tampenade, though not all the typical symptoms.

My biggest worry about the surgery is not the surgery itself, but the fact that Mason and Liam will not be allowed to visit me -- the U. Hospital (I think all hospitals in Utah) recently instituted a policy restricting visitors to over 14 years old in light of the high incidence of swine flu in children here. So, my little guys will be missing me, and I them, but we'll make it through. Thankfully, my mother is coming out to help next week, and Pete is the ever-amazing super dad.

Speaking of Pete, he is feeling much better, his teeth are no longer sore, he has temp. caps on them, and he will soon find out if he needs root canals/extractions or can get by with just permanent caps - will depend on whether there is nerve damage to either front tooth.

Meanwhile, this past Tues. night, Liam fell while running and had his first ER experience, getting 4 staples to the back of his head. He was a champ and the whole incident was not too traumatic for any of us. Mason probably was the most upset at the sight of blood! And, we had great service at the new Park City Medical Center/Hospital - only folks in the ER at 5:30 pm at night!

Mason turned 6 on this past Wednesday and is very proud to be a 6-year old now!

Lots of love and thanks to you all for your support, love, prayers, energy, blessings, etc.,
Emily and family

1 comment:

Tin Man said...

Best of luck with the new surgery!! Keep that great attitude. We will try to stop in for a visit this week.
JJ & Kitty