Monday, June 23, 2008

One week later . . .

Greetings to you all (Stars and Angels, in case you have forgotten the critical role you play in all of this)!

I write, hopefully briefly, to let you know that I am doing great and hope to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday 6.24). Pete and I have spent the last couple of days learning lots about the many medications (about 17-19) I will be on (most for the rest of my life). The big three drugs aim to suppress the immune system so it does not attack or reject my heart. The goal of the remainder of the meds is to try to counter the negative effects of the 3 principal immunosuppressive drugs!

Anyway, as the big hand rounded past 8 pm tonight, I was thinking that the transplant surgery had not yet even begun a week ago tonight (I went into the OR around 10:15 pm last Monday night) and decided I needed to write!! How insane is all of this??? How lucky am I???

On last Monday night, June 16, 2008, a day I will never forget, an anniversary I will always celebrate, these are the last things I remember: Before the nurses/resident wheeled me up to the OR, feeling so scared, like I never have before, as I kissed, hugged, & squeezed my dear Pete, held/squeezed Chas's hand, and mentally sent my love and energy to my precious boys and all my family and friends; settling onto the OR table and still feeling REALLY scared; saying hello to all in the OR, especially the Anesthesiologist, Dr. Desjardin, whom I had not yet met but had just learned was the head of the Dept/the best in the business; taking a deep breath, and thanking in advance all the hard work of the doctors and nurses/everyone in the OR (mind you, I was pretty blind when I left Pete and Chas - they held on to my glasses, the contacts having long been taken out); and, finally, being told to breath into my arms, my torso, my legs (I think that was the order!) . . . . I awoke on Tuesday and wow, I had survived the surgery and had a new ticker!!!

I know I have said it before and I'll repeat it a lot, but I am so thankful. Thankful most of all for this new chance for a healthy, long life, which really means thanks to my donor and donor family. Thankful for my "transplant team" here at the U and the doctors/PAs/nursing staff/aides who have taken such good care of me -- everyone is incredible, dedicated, sincere, and hardworking. The transplant team is so invested in my continued wellness -- it is really quite amazing, the good work they do. And, thankful for all of you supporting me and my family during this crazy time.

So with that, I ask again that you all please remember those out there whose fate I shared just over 1 week ago, waiting for an organ, a match (and please become an organ donor. Now I am blessed with the gift of a new heart, and I cannot wait to get home!

Love and peace to you my Stars and Angels, and goodnight,
Emily

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Emily and Spider,

Happy to hear you are on the way home, hang tough. Thoughts and prayers are with you and we love you guys.

Best.

Hank.

Anonymous said...

Emily and Pete,
You are both so deserving of all the gifts of family, friendship, love and life. I cannot comprehend all that you have been through in such a relatively short time, but to have come through it with such grace, wit, candor and heart (pun seems appropriate, if admittedly cheesy) is something I will never forget. Continue to gain strength and inspire.
Jon Fitzgerald

Anonymous said...

Emily, You look and sound totally radiant! We are so happy to hear you are on the other side of the transplant and that you are doing so magnificently. Your energy and attitude are incredible. From NYC, we are sending lots of love, our thoughts and prayers, for your continued recovery.
Daphne, Sean, Owen, and Mira
p.s. The boys are adorable! And Pete is well-matched as your superhero partner...

Anonymous said...

Emily-
I am so amazed and touched by your incredible story. It has been a really, really long time since we have seen each other, but I am so glad to be able to read this journey that you, Pete and your cute kidos are all on. It has a wonderful, amazing start, and I can only imaging the new outlook you have. No wonder you thank your stars and your angels.
I wish you all the best from foggy, humid Nantucket. Sending a big cyber, germ-free hug to you.
Love,
Cousin Todd